Men in their 20s are in a unique stage of life. No longer adolescents, but also not yet full-fledged adults, men in this decade are looking to find their path and passion. An important part of that journey can be exploring hobbies that provide meaning, skills, friendships, and more.
When it comes to the best hobbies for men in their 20s, there are a lot of options to consider.
The key is finding activities that match your interests, goals, and budget. With an open mind, you can find hobbies that will pay dividends for years to come.
Why Hobbies Matter in Your 20s
Your 20s are a pivotal time when hobbies can provide tremendous benefits. More than just casual pastimes, hobbies serve many important purposes during this dynamic decade of your life. As you transition from college to career, establishing hobbies should be a priority not just for enjoyment but for enriching your life in critical ways. Hobbies serve many purposes in your 20s:
- They give you a break from work. With a demanding job, it’s healthy to have activities outside of work to refresh your mind.
- They help you meet people. Some of the best friendships are built around shared interests. Hobbies are a great way to connect with new people.
- They help you stay active. Your 20s are a time to be active and establish lifelong exercise habits. Hobbies are a fun way to get your body moving.
- They provide personal fulfillment. A hobby lets you tap into your passions and talents in a way your job may not. Finding that personal fulfillment is key to staying content.
- They give you skills to advance your career. Certain hobbies provide valuable skills you can apply to your career, like public speaking, computer skills, or leadership experience.
- They help you make money. Some hobbies have money-making potential through selling products, teaching lessons, or taking clients.
Affordable Hobbies to Get You Started
You don’t need a big budget to explore hobbies in your 20s. Here are some fun, affordable hobby ideas:
Join a Recreational Sports League
Playing sports is a natural hobby for men in their 20s. It lets you exercise, meet people, and tap into your competitive side. The best part is joining a recreational league doesn’t require exceptional athleticism or skills. You can join a league for pretty much any sport like basketball, softball, flag football, bowling, or soccer. Just find some friends, sign up, and have a blast.
Learn Guitar or Piano
Learning an instrument takes patience but pays off with a valuable skill. Guitar and piano are two of the most popular instruments to learn. You can start by getting an inexpensive used guitar or keyboard then use the abundance of free online tutorials. Once you get the basics down, play along with your favorite songs. Over time, you’ll impress yourself by how quickly you progress.
Photography is an artistic hobby that doesn’t require natural gifts. With digital cameras and editing tools, you can learn photography basics without huge investments. Experiment with portrait, landscape, macro, or urban photography. Use apps to edit your photos or even print your best work. As your skills grow, upgrade your equipment if you desire. Selling your photos or booking clients can provide income too.
Write a Blog
Blogging is an enjoyable hobby if you love writing. It allows you to share your thoughts while building your writing skills. You can blog about sports, movies, travel, cooking, or any passion. Use free sites like WordPress or Blogger so you only pay for a domain name. Promote your blog on social media to find an audience. A popular blog has money-making potential through advertising income or product promotions.
Learn Magic Tricks
Magic is an entertaining hobby for guys who love active learning. Start by mastering simple card tricks, pulling a quarter from someone’s ear, or making objects disappear. Watch online tutorials for free or buy starter magic kits. Practice your routines, then impress (and baffle) your friends and family. If you stick with it, you can even get paying gigs at kids’ parties or other events.
Try Cooking New Cuisines
Cooking is one of the most useful hobbies for daily life. Your 20s are a prime time to expand your palate and cooking skills. Browse international cookbooks from the library or watch cooking shows featuring global cuisines. Thai, Indian, Italian pasta, Mexican dishes, or Southern barbecue are fun styles to try at home. Cooking saves money over eating out while equipping you with kitchen skills.
Gardening is an enjoyable outdoor hobby with many benefits. Start small by growing herbs, vegetables, or flowers in patio containers or in your yard. Caring for plants teaches you patience and responsibility while relaxing. Expand your green thumb by trying container gardening, hydroponics, bonsai trees, or succulents. Give your harvest or floral arrangements as gifts. Selling plants and produce is another income opportunity.
Best Solo Hobbies for Men in Their 20s to Cultivate Your Skills and Interests
Beyond social activities, having a few solo hobbies in your back pocket is also important. Solo hobbies are a great way to pursue your interests, work on skills, and enjoy your own company.
- Learning a Language: With apps like Duolingo, learning a new language can be done whenever you have spare time. Studying a language boosts your communication skills and even empathy.
- Reading: Reading more is a goal many people have but have trouble making time for. Designate 30 minutes (or more) each day to read for pleasure. Mix up fiction, nonfiction, short stories, and poetry.
- Drawing: Pick up a sketchbook and pencils for under $20. Watch some drawing tutorials online to pick up basic techniques. Drawing is relaxing, expressive, and something you can do alone or in any environment.
- Playing an Instrument: Teach yourself to play an instrument like a guitar, ukulele, or keyboard. This hobby takes patience but brings immense satisfaction as you improve.
- Writing: Start a blog, keep a journal, write short stories…there are many creative writing outlets to explore that cost little to nothing.
Having solo hobbies gives you time to decompress, tap into your creativity, and discover new passions. Be sure to make time for these activities, even when life gets busy.
What are Some Hobbies that can Help Men in their 20s Meet New People and Make Friends?
While developing your interests is important, friendships are also a key component of fulfillment in your 20s. Shared hobbies and activities are a great way to meet people and cultivate meaningful connections.
Here are some hobbies that can double as social opportunities:
- Joining a Sports League: Look for local recreational sports leagues that match your ability and interest. Soccer, basketball, volleyball, and more are great ways to get active and have fun with others.
- Taking Classes: Community centers, colleges, and private businesses offer affordable evening and weekend classes on everything from painting to woodworking to mixology. Learning and creating alongside peers builds bonds.
- Outdoor Adventures: Organize hiking, camping, kayaking or rock climbing trips with groups for weekend getaways focused on nature and teamwork.
- Join a Band: If you play an instrument, join a local band looking for members. Not only will you get to enjoy making music, but you’ll collaborate with and get to know new people.
- Volunteering: Find a cause that matters to you and volunteer your time regularly. Working on a shared mission builds strong relationships.
The social component of these hobbies enhances enjoyment, motivation, and a sense of belonging. Be open-minded in trying new activities that allow you to intersect with others.
Finding Your Confidence Through Hobbies
Many hobbies naturally boost your confidence as you start as a beginner and progressively get better. Here are some examples of confidence-building hobbies to try:
Do Public Speaking
Conquering a fear of public speaking does wonders for self-confidence. Seek opportunities like joining a Toastmasters group to practice public speaking and leadership skills in a supportive setting. As you gain expertise, volunteer to give presentations with work or community groups. The sense of accomplishment transfers to confidence in meetings and social situations.
Take Improv Comedy Classes
Improv comedy boosts confidence by teaching you to think quickly, take risks, and stay relaxed in high-pressure situations. In improv classes, you practice comedy skits, games, and scenes without scripts. Skills like listening, teamwork, and being in the moment become natural. Channel your new boldness into social and work scenarios.
Join a Band
Joining a band gives you a creative outlet to build confidence in your talents. Look for a recreational band accepting novice musicians. You can find bands ranging from rock and punk to country and jazz. Jamming with bandmates teaches music skills and teamwork. Performing live gives an exhilarating rush of confidence.
Take a Public Speaking or Debate Class
For rapid confidence growth, take a speech or debate class at a nearby college or community center. Learn public speaking techniques in a classroom setting, then apply them through practice speeches. Debate classes allow you to articulate ideas extemporaneously while considering different viewpoints. As your speaking abilities grow, so will your confidence.
See Also: 98 Best Hobbies for Men to Try Today
Best Healthy Hobbies for Men in Their 20s
Your 20s are the prime time to adopt healthy habits that benefit you for life. Hobbies are more enjoyable ways to get fit than slogging through the gym. Here are hobbies to boost your physical and mental health:
Train for a Race
Training for a 5K, 10K, half marathon, or sprint triathlon gives both structure and motivation to exercise. Once you register for a race, you have a concrete goal to work towards. Joining a local running group provides camaraderie and advice as you increase your mileage. Completing the race gives an exhilarating sense of achievement.
Take Martial Arts Classes
Martial arts like karate, jiu-jitsu, tae kwon do and muay thai provide phenomenal workouts. You build strength, flexibility, coordination, and mental discipline through rigorous training. Learning self-defense empowers confidence too. Martial arts instill lifelong habits of health through their combination of physical challenge and mental focus.
Hitting hiking trails is an energizing way to enjoy nature and get exercise. Start with day hikes on scenic local trails to appreciate your area’s natural beauty. Join a hiking Meetup group to explore with fellow adventurers. Work up to more challenging overnight backpacking trips. Hiking develops fitness while relieving stress through immersion in nature.
Yoga is ideal for becoming lean and flexible with both physical and mental health benefits. Take beginner classes to learn proper form in yoga poses and breathing. Styles like Hatha and Vinyasa build strength through flowing sequences. Regular practice boosts energy, reduces anxiety, and promotes healthy sleep patterns.
Pick Up Cycling
Riding a bike is a nostalgic hobby that burns calories and tones your legs. Look for great local routes, then hit the road. Join group rides to explore further and cycle with friends. Work your way up to long distances. Signing up for charity rides gives you fitness goals. The thrill of speeding downhill never gets old.
Hobbies that can Help Men in their 20s Develop New Skills or Talents
You have natural strengths and talents. But part of your 20s is developing additional skills that complement these innate abilities. Practically any hobby will result in learning new skills. Here are some examples:
Learn to Code
Practice a Foreign Language
Immersing yourself in a foreign language trains your brain while expanding your horizons. Listen to foreign music, watch movies in that language, and make conversation partners. Many communities have clubs where you can practice French, Spanish, German, and more. Use apps to build vocab through fun quizzes. Schedule a trip to a country where your target language is spoken.
Learn Video Editing
The world is visual, so video editing skills open diverse opportunities. Start by using free editing software like DaVinci Resolve, OpenShot, or Lightworks to cut together personal travel or concert videos with transitions and effects. Watch tutorials to master techniques. Offer your services for projects like wedding videos or social media content to gain paid experience.
Fiction writing allows your creativity to run wild. Work on short stories, poems, a novel, or a screenplay—whatever inspires you. Take writing classes to refine your style. Join a critique group for feedback. Submit pieces to contests and publications to earn recognition. Self-publish quality work on Amazon. Imaginative writing stays sharp when done regularly.
Pick Up Woodworking
Woodworking is a fulfilling hobby that produces tangible results. Start small with projects like birdhouses, shelves, or cutting boards. Invest in starter tools as you learn techniques like joinery, routing, and staining. Watch for used tools and lumber to save money. Finish pieces as gifts or sell your handiwork at craft fairs. With practice, build larger furniture like tables and cabinets.
Learn a Musical Instrument
Learning to play an instrument expands your talents and provides a creative release. Choose a portable instrument like acoustic guitar or ukulele that easily travels to gatherings. Start by learning chords and strumming patterns through online lessons. Practice daily even for short sessions. Performing for friends builds skills and confidence. Add singing if you’re feeling bold.
Popular Hobbies Among Men in Their 20s
While your hobbies should be completely individualized, it can be helpful to understand what activities tend to resonate with men in their 20s. Here are some of the most popular hobbies:
- Fitness Training: Hitting the gym, lifting weights, and high-intensity interval training. Fitness appeals to the goal-oriented nature of men in their 20s.
- Sports: Basketball, soccer, football, hockey, and other recreational team sports. Guys enjoy social teamwork and competition.
- Hiking and Backpacking: Young men explore the outdoors through hiking clubs, backpacking trips, and more.
- Gaming: Playing video games alone or with friends online remains hugely popular with this demographic.
- Cars: Many men in their 20s are passionate about cars and auto mechanics. Customizing, detailing, racing, and admiring cool vehicles.
- Music: Playing guitar, finding new genres, going to live shows, collecting vinyl records. Music often defines culture and identity.
- Adrenaline Activities: Rock climbing, mountain biking, surfing, skydiving. Testing limits through extreme sports is exciting.
- Craft Breweries and Distilleries: Microbreweries and distilleries have exploded in popularity. Young men often frequent these as hubs for connection.
- Technology: Building computers, learning to code, staying up on the latest tech. This taps into skills and career development.
- Reading and Writing: Despite stereotypes, reading is still a popular pastime. Many young men also maintain blogs.
- Cooking and Barbequing: Leveling up culinary skills and hosting friends is a source of pride.
While every man has unique interests, this list represents common hobbies that resonate with this demographic. Use it as inspiration to consider new passions of your own.
Developing Profitable Hobbies and Side Hustles
We all need to make money. When you can combine this necessity with something you enjoy, you’ve struck gold.
Here is a table comparing some profitable hobbies and side hustles for men in their 20s:
|Hobby||Time Commitment||Startup Costs||Income Potential||Key Skills Developed|
|Selling Crafts on Etsy||Flexible||Low||$ – $$||Crafting, entrepreneurship|
|Freelance Writing||Flexible||Low||$ – $$$||Writing, communication|
|Photography||Moderate||$$||$$ – $$$||Photography, creativity|
|Web Design||Moderate||Low||$$ – $$$||Coding, design|
|Personal Training||High||$$||$$ – $$$||Fitness, coaching|
|DJ’ing||Moderate||$$||$ – $$||Music mixing, equipment skills|
|Playing Music||High||$-$$||$ – $$||Musical talent, performance|
|Selling Stock Media||Flexible||Low||$ – $$||Photography, videography|
This table summarizes key factors like time commitment, costs, income potential, and development skills for each profitable hobby. Use this overview to help select income-generating hobbies that appeal to you.
How to Find the Right Hobbies for Men in Their 20s?
With so many hobby possibilities out there, narrowing the field can feel overwhelming for men in their 20s seeking direction.
Here are some tips for finding a hobby you’ll stick with and enjoy:
- Reflect on childhood hobbies – Did you love building model cars or drawing comic books? Revisiting childhood passions rekindles a spark. Don’t be afraid to try youth hobbies again despite added responsibilities.
- Think about your personality and values – Are you indoorsy or outdoorsy? Artsy or athletic? Competitive or cooperative? Your innate temperament will mesh well with certain hobbies.
- Observe friends and role models – Pay attention to hobbies that appeal to guys you admire. Ask to tag along sometime and try it out for yourself.
- Attend hobby “open house” events – Many studios and recreation centers offer free demo days to try activities from trapeze to glassblowing. This lets you test-drive hobbies before committing.
- Don’t over-research – just dive in! – Reading reviews is helpful, but don’t endlessly analyze options or you’ll end up not trying anything new. Sometimes you have to leap.
- Variation keeps life interesting – Don’t just pick one hobby. Having a spectrum prevents boredom and helps you grow as a well-rounded person.
Chasing fleeting interests is normal in your 20s. But by using these tips, you can discover fulfilling hobbies tailored to how you want to spend your free time and energy.
Conclusion: Finding Your Passions
With demanding jobs, it’s easy to focus only on climbing the career ladder in your 20s. But don’t overlook the value of hobby time. The right hobby complements your work life by providing an enjoyable outlet for stress, nourishing your social health, and pursuing activities simply for the love of doing them.
Experiment with any hobby that intrigues you. Attend free trial classes and Meetup events to sample new activities. Don’t force hobbies that fizzle out—try more until you find fulfilling ones. Let your passions guide you rather than whatever’s trendy.
Embrace activities that challenge you while providing relaxation. Now is the time to explore your interests and talents while building skills. Allow hobbies to open new doors rather than simply fill time. Soon these pastimes will become part of the fabric that makes your life meaningful and well-rounded.
FAQs – Best Hobbies for Men in Their 20s
What do guys in their mid-20s do for fun?
Guys in their mid-20s often enjoy activities such as playing sports, going out with friends, and trying new hobbies. They may also enjoy traveling, attending concerts or festivals, and taking on new challenges.
How do I find a hobby in my late 20s?
Finding a hobby in your late 20s can be a great way to explore new interests and meet new people. Consider trying out a new sport, joining a club or group related to an interest, or taking a class in something that interests you.
Are guys mature at 20?
While some 20-year-old men may be mature and responsible, others may still be developing their sense of maturity. It’s important to remember that everyone matures at their own pace, and some men may not reach full maturity until their 30s or 40s.
What do girls look for in a guy in their 20s?
Many girls in their 20s look for guys who are confident, genuine, and respectful. They may also be attracted to men who are ambitious, motivated, and have a clear sense of direction in life.
How should a man spend his 20s?
A man’s 20s are a time for exploration, growth, and self-discovery. He should focus on building a strong foundation for his future, whether that means pursuing a career, developing meaningful relationships, or taking on new challenges. It’s also important to make time for fun and self-care.